Friday, April 25, 2008

# 81 Restaurants (30 / 30) - COMPLETE!

It's kind of sad that I've completed this item...this has been my favorite on-going list item :) But do not fear, I will continue to seek out new and exciting restaurants and if I happen to come across something amazing I may surprise you and post it :)

As the Grand Finale, I've decided to blog about ALL of the new restaurants that I ate at while on my weekend trip to New York (to visit my cousin :). So here they go in chronological order :)

30a) Sequoia - This is a fun restaurant at the South Street Seaport in New York City. My cousin and I happened upon this place around 4PM and guess what...it was Happy Hour!!! :) You gotta luuuv Happy Hour! We weren't entirely hungry so we decided to split a couple appetizers (we didn't want to drink on empty stomachs :-/ ;). We split crab cakes and their garlic fries. The fries were AMAZING!!!! (DEFINITELY unhealthy but OH-SO-GOOOOOOOD!)

30b) Ruby Foo's - Since we'd decided to have mid-afternoon appetizers my cousin and I weren't really hungry until after our 8PM show of Mary Poppins...so, we decided to stroll around Times Square to see if there was anything that sounded good. Yes, this was at 11PM but we were hungry...AND in the city! Fortunately for me ;) my cousin spotted a Ruby Foo's, a Japanese restaurant that served sushi :) I'm always hesitant to suggest sushi to people because I know that many don't particularly care for (or are afraid to try) sushi. I'm sure the smile on my face went from ear to ear when she suggested sushi. And it was an excellent idea! The atmosphere of the restaurant was very cool-city/trendy yet incorporated the Asian influence...I LOVED it :) Yes, we finally finished our meal at 12:15am but it was SO delicious and fun! I totally need to live in a city!

30c) H&H Bagels - My cousin has this "Local's Guide to NYC" specifically written by/for people who live on Long Island and make frequent weekend trips to the city. In the book it recommends H&H Bagels so my cousin really wanted to try it out; it's bread...so OF COURSE I'm in ;) I was thinking that maybe they'd sell bagel sandwiches or even toasted bagels...NOPE! They sell about 7 variations of bagels, all non-toasted. In my mind it was very "Seinfeld - Soup Nazi-ish"...but the bagels were good. I wouldn't brag about them too much unless it's about the EVERYTHING BAGEL! YUMMY! My cousin ordered a variety of bagels and we decided to try a blueberry and a cinnamon-raisin (she had one and I had the other). However, as we were walking through Central Park we kept getting these AMAZING whiffs of onion and garlic (my mouth was literally watering :) so we gave in to Temptation and split the Everything Bagel...it was SOOOO worth it! If I had this to do over again, I would have order ALL Everything bagels and hoped that I had gotten them when they were still warm; if that had been the case I probably would have eaten the ENTIRE BAG!!!

30d) La Pizzaiola - I think that when I travel for fun my eating pattern gets thrown WAY off! (Example: "lunch and dinner" at Sequoia and Ruby Foo's) Well, this story does not deviate. On our drive from NYC to Shelter Island, around 3PM my cousin and I decided that we were STARVING but we didn't want to eat anything too large b/c we would mess up, yet another dinner plan. We decided to stop at La Pizzaiola in Southampton and grab a piece of NY-style pizza (why didn't anyone warn me that these are HUGE?!?!). We each got a piece of basil, tomato, and garlic pizza and devoured it in the car :) I think this may be my exception to my love for thick crust pizza. (N0 worries Quatro's, I'm still loyal ;)

30e) Planet Bliss - This restaurant is located on Shelter Island and has been closed for the majority of the time my cousin has been on the island. It just opened within the last 2 weeks and since my cousin has been looking forward to trying it out for so long I decided that NO MATTER WHAT (hungry or not) we were going to have dinner here on Sunday night. It was a good choice. It was a neat, eclectic restaurant. It reminded me of a "classier" Harbaugh's (but for dinner). It had an organic/earthy/Hampton-ish feel. The food was good; I had the fish tacos. I've been meaning to try these out since my college roomie got back from an internship (almost 4 years ago!) where she spent a summer in CA and had nothing but good things to say about Fish tacos. They were good and I'd try them again but I wouldn't rave about these ones all that much. :)

So this wraps up my eating novel from my trip to NYC. These are all the new restaurants that I tried out on my trip...and they are all unique to NYC :)

Sadly this concludes list item #81. :*(

It's been fun :)

0 comments: