Friday, January 2, 2009

# 89 Book of Job

It's New Year's day and I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl at 2 this morning so I thought it would be a great time to read the Book of Job. I had all evening open, besides having to make dinner, so I started some rice and sat down with my Bible. The reason that this is even on my list goes back to when I was in 8th grade and getting ready to make my Confirmation. We were told to research a saint that we wanted to be named for, as part of the process. My mother had just recently finished reading The Book of Job and had told me a little about the story and how through an amazing amount of loss and suffering Job stayed true to his faith in God and did not accuse Him or blame Him for the trials that he was going through. I thought this story sounded amazing and how I would wish for my faith to be so I chose Job as my saint. There were three issues with this: First, females typically choose female saints for their confirmation and since Job is a male this kind of threw my instructors. Second: Job isn't actually a saint but no one said anything about this throughout my entire preparation process; it was really brought out while the bishop was Confirming me and asked what name I chose, his eyes got as large as saucers and HE was the one who told me that I wasn't supposed to choose Job...oops, but he let me get away with it anyway. The third reason, and most pressing to me, is that I never actually READ The Book of Job throughout the entire preparation process. While others were researching, I just restated what my mother had told me about this Book and apparently I was convincing enough that they let me get by with it. Well, I've finally read The Book and now I have some questions. This story isn't really what I had envisioned at all. I'm kind of confused and now I'm going to have to seek out counsel from some people who are far more versed and religious than I. I should have done this 13 years ago but at least I'm getting around to it now.

0 comments: